Easy Peasy Cocktail Party Finger Foods
We’re on holiday at our home near Sancerre, France and it’s hot. Really hot. So hot that when we went down on our bikes to the beach along the Loire River, the sand was so hot the dogs sat down with their paws in the air and my feet got burnt just making the mad, barefoot dash to the water. We always keep a bottle or two of lovely Sancerre rosé wine in the fridge for those spontaneous moments when friends pop over for an apéritif. But what to serve them to go with it, that you can make in a jiffy from store cupboard ingredients? How about these Smoked Trout and Asparagus Roll-ups and my Blue Cheese and Cucumber Maki? Easy peasy!
Smoked Trout and Asparagus Roll-ups
Dead easy to make and delicious, too! Serves 4.
a small jar of white or green asparagus tips
3 or 4 slices of smoked trout or smoked salmon
a squeeze of lemon juice
- Take a jar of white or green cooked asparagus spears and 3 slices of smoked trout or smoked salmon.
- Cut the fish in short strips and wrap around the asparagus.
- Drizzle with lemon juice. Done!
Blue Cheese and Cucumber Maki
Can be made with courgette instead of cucumber for an equally delicious end result. Serves 4.
one small cucumber or courgette
50 g soft blue cheese
1 Tbsp Greek yoghurt
salt and pepper
- Thinly slice – lengthwise – a cucumber (or a courgette) with a mandolin or a vegetable peeler. Drain the cucmber on kitchen roll or other absorbent paper.
- Mash about 50g of blue cheese with a tablespoon of Greek yoghurt and add some freshly ground black pepper.
- Spread one teaspoonful of this mixture on cucumber/courgette slices and roll from one end into adorable little maki rolls.
Serve both of the above with a glass (or two) of chilled Sancerre rosé wine.
And if you’ve got a tin of crabmeat and some leeks you can also make my delicious Leek and Crab maki!
Bon appétit !