Red Pepper (Capiscum) & Tomato Soup
This Red Pepper (Capiscum) & Tomato Soup is one of my all-time favourite soups, not only because it carries the sentimental value of having been the Thermomix demonstration soup recipe for UK Thermomix, but because I just love the way the red pepper blends with the tomato. And the pinch of cayenne pepper really lifts the whole soup. You can optimise the use of your Thermomix by steaming meat and vegetables in the Varoma while your soup cooks for up to 30 minutes before blending, for an all-in-one Varoma meal.
- 40 g red lentils
- 1 garlic clove
- 15 g olive oil
- 2 red peppers (capiscum), stems and seeds removed, and cut or ripped into chunks
- 1 medium onion, peeled and cut in two
- 400 g fresh chopped or tinned tomatoes
- 400 g stock (or water and a stock cube or Thermomix stock paste)
- salt, pepper and cayenne pepper to taste
- Grind the red lentils 30 seconds/Speed 10. Tip out and reserve. No need to clean the TM bowl.
- Peel the garlic: 4 seconds/Reverse blade function/Speed 4. Remove the skins and leave the garlic in the bowl.
- Add the olive oil, red peppers (capiscum) and onion and chop 5 seconds/Speed 5. Scrape sides of TM bowl with spatula.
- Sauté 5 minutes/120° C/Speed 1/MC off (TM31: 5 minutes/100° C/Speed 1/MC off).
- Add the stock (or water and stock cube), tomatoes, ground lentils, salt and pepper to taste and a pinch of cayenne pepper (optional). Cook 15 minutes/Varoma/Speed 2 (or up to 30 minutes if steaming meat and vegetables at the same time in the Varoma).
- Make sure the MC is on the lid of your Thermomix and blend your soup 1 minute/Speed 10.
- If desired, serve with croutons, a swirl of cream and chopped fresh herbs.
- Your standard 400 g tin of tomatoes holds 400 g of water so just empty the tin full of tomatoes into your TM bowl and then fill it back up with water. Weigh it in and you’ll see that it holds 400 g. Odd, but true!
Bon appétit !