As soon as I saw these cookies on Sylvie Shirazi’s beautiful blog, Gourmande in the Kitchen, I knew I was in trouble. And I was right. This recipe should come with a warning: will cause serious damage to your resolve and your willpower. Do not even think of making them before dinner (as I did) or you will not eat anything else until every last cookie has been polished off safely. Or at least that’s what you’ll be wanting to do!
Double Chocolate Chunk Cookies (Gluten Free and Grain Free)
The original recipe for these double chocolate cookies with chunks of dark chocolate was created by Sylvie Shirazi and will make you swoon. Because it’s fast and easy to make these cookies in your Thermomix, the recipe is kid friendly. Best of all, they are gluten free as well as grain free – but does that mean they are guilt free?? There ought to be a law against cookies this good 😉 Adapted for Thermomix by Madame Thermomix. Makes about 2 dozen depending on size.
160 g almonds
60 g unsweetened natural cocoa
200 g coconut sugar (palm sugar)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda (bicarbonate of soda)
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
200 g chocolate, 70% cocoa solids, broken in pieces, divided 100 g and 100 g
100 g butter, cubed
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 180° C/350° F.
- Grind the almonds and palm or coconut sugar 5 seconds/Speed 8. Tip out and reserve. Rough chop 100 g of chocolate 5 seconds/Speed 5 to get nice chunks that will melt – sort of like chocolate chips only bigger and greedier. Tip out and reserve.
- Weigh remaining 100 g of chocolate into the TM bowl and melt 50° C/5 minutes/Speed 1. Add the ground almonds and sugar, cocoa, baking soda, and salt into the TM bowl, lock the lid and turbo pulse a few seconds to combine.
- Add the cubed butter, eggs and vanilla and process until the dough is smooth, about 30 seconds/Speed 5. The dough will seem relatively thin; it should look more like a brownie batter than a firm cookie dough. Fold in the reserved chopped chocolate, Reverse Blade Function/5 seconds/Speed 3.
- Drop dough by heaping Tablespoon, a few inches apart, onto two or three parchment lined baking sheets. Bake until just set, about 8 to 10 minutes, rotating sheets halfway through. (Do not bake the cookies to a crisp; they will be soft when you take them out of the oven, but firm up as they cool, so be careful not to over bake.)
- Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.
Sylvie’s Notes: Gluten Free, Grain Free, Paleo
Madame Thermomix’s notes: These cookies are extremely luscious when still warm with melting chocolate chunks… try not to gobble them all up before they cool!
Bon appétit !